This is a list of many things that have been true since the birth of those entering in college this year (thus the ‘Class of 2023’).
This list used to be at the Beloit College website, but they moved it to a different place. The complete list is here: https://www.marist.edu/mindset-list
Here are a few highlights from the list.
- Like Pearl Harbor for their grandparents, and the Kennedy assassination for their parents, 9/11 is an historical event.
- Thumb, jump, and USB flash drives have always pushed floppy disks further into history.
- The primary use of a phone has always been to take pictures.
- The Tech Big Four–Apple, Facebook, Amazon and Google — are to them what the Big Three automakers were to their grandparents.
- When they pulled themselves up off the floor for the first time, they may have been hanging onto the folks’ brand-new Xbox.
- Oklahoma City has always had a national memorial at its center.
- Self-contained, battery-powered artificial hearts have always been ticking away.
- They are as non-judgmental about sexual orientation as their parents were about smoking pot.
- They have outlived iTunes.
- The Mars Odyssey has always been checking out the water supply for their future visits to Mars.
- PayPal has always been an online option for purchasers.
- They have witnessed two African-American Secretaries of State, the election of a black President, Disney’s first black Princess, and the rise of the Black Lives Matter movement.
- YouTube has become the video version of Wikipedia.
- Apple iPods have always been nostalgic.
- Face recognition technology has always been used at public events.
- They have grown up with Big Data and ubiquitous algorithms that know what they want before they do.
- There have always been “smartwatches.”
- Defibrillators have always been so simple to use that they can be installed at home.
- Cal Ripken, Jr., has always been retired.